Friday, January 11, 2008

First Culinary Entry for 2008

Lamb Doyles

After much deliberation about what to do for lunch and reminding myself of the commitment I have made to this blog about recipes and restaurant reviews. I decided to make my first 'culinary entry' about my local.


About Lamb Doyles
Lamb Doyles has a long and colourful history with its connections with Horse Racing at nearby Leopardstown Race Course, and as a famous gathering place for Dubliners and tourists who appreciate the magnificent views over Dublin City and Bay.

About the Menu (http://www.lambdoyles.com/html/brasseriemenu.htm)
The menu has changed alot since thier website was created and now is typically what you would find at any bog standard pub throughout the Dublin area. The menu is simple and reflects the strengths of Irish cuisine which always strikes me a being very comfortable in nature. I would expect it being the nature of the average punter who may frequent the place and also due to its location at the start of the Wicklow Mountains.

My Meal
As I was dining at lunch time and was feeling overly hungry I decided to go with a starter of Potato Skins, and a Steak Sandwich for my entrée.

My starter came out piping hot and was presented simply with your normal expectation of a few leafy greens and an orange slice as a garnish. With three halved potato skins with cheddar cheese and bacon. There was no accompaniment of the usual sour cream or salsa which I would expect to find and for €5.75 seemed a bit steep for the portion size. The taste was pleasant as expected and was timely served.

My Entrée followed shortly after and as I like my steaks rare, I was not disappointed. The sandwich was again garnished with the previous garnish, and was on a plate with an ample serving of chips. The steak sandwich itself was served on a ciabatta bun and topped with fried onions and mushrooms. I would have to say it was all that you would expect from your typical pub based restaurant and if I could say anything it was that the food was just that typical. The meal lacked personality and there was not much of a flavor to much of the food. The 6oz. steak sandwich rings in at €12.95 and is a bit steep in price but, you leave feeling full the entire entrée is more than ample to fill an empty stomach.

Service
I have a soft spot for Lamb Doyles as it is my local but not only that, the older gentleman who serves during the day is very pleasant and will go out of his way to help you.

Today's Rating
Food: 2.5/5
Service: 4.5/5
Cleanliness: 4/5

Overall: 3.5

2 comments:

Chris said...

Oooh, steak sandwich!! This entry made me hungry.

Nice blog by the way - good luck and have fun with it. I'll be keeping a keen eye out for culinary entries and glossing over the sports ones if you don't mind me saying :)

-k.

p.s. I can't believe meeting me and Chris didn't make your top five moments of 2007!!

Chris said...

When I did my 6 hour hike from Powersourt Waterfall to Dublin via the Wicklow Way, I capped my day off with a Steak and a Guinness at Lamb Doyle's....yummm delicious

-Chris